Do not go hungry. Apply for SNAP/CalFresh

The CalFresh Program, formerly known as Food Stamps and Federally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assitance Program (SNAP), provides cash assistance for purchasing food to people who meet the income and legal status requirements. Are you eligible?  Well, let us find out!


To be eligible for a free food debit card that can be used at grocery stores and farmers’ market, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must between the age of 18-49 years old. (18-21 not living with parents; 22-49 living with parent and must purchase  and must purchase and prepare food separately)
  • U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident
  • Enrolled in school half-time or more
  • Physically and mentally fit for employment

Students living on-campus and getting more than half of their meals from a dining plan are not eligible. Most scholarships, loans, grants and work-study income is exempt.

The program issues monthly electronic benefits that can be used to buy food at many grocery markets and food stores. The amount of benefits you get is determined by the size of your household, your income, and your housing expenses.  The whole purpose of SNAP/CalFresh is to prevent hunger and give people access to nutritious food. I really urge you to apply to this program if you are need of food assistance. This is one of the best off-campus resources you can get.

( To apply for SNAP/CalFresh, visit My Benefits Calwin )